Since 2015, SI PPS has convened more than 75 partner organizations to offer more than 70,000 hours of training, for more than 20,000 partner staff.
The trainings consisted of more than three dozen short- and long-term courses in Population Health, Cultural Competency, Behavioral Health, Continuing Care, web-based Disease Management, and Patient Engagement. One key outcome of these trainings was the introduction of a global Nursing Home approach to managing sepsis in nursing homes with the goal of reducing hospital admissions.
In 2017 and beyond, SI PPS began to develop and offer Adult Education Certificate Programs in conjunction with institutes of higher education. These more in-depth courses also offered a college credit component. The Community Health Worker and Certified Peer Recovery Advocate programs were created. They are a key linchpin in helping engage patients in multiple settings into treatment and services for substance use disorders.
Over time, SI PPS and partners looked at deeper issues impacting recruitment and retention. From these findings, a new curriculum was developed, obtained Federal approval from the US Department of Labor and launched the first federally approved, learn and earn Apprentice Program for Certified Nursing Assistants in New York State.
- Over 70,000 hours of training to upskill workers from 75 employers
- First ever program combining cultural competency, health literacy and LGBTQ sensitivity training to over 20,000 employees
- Created first certified recovery peer advocate (CRPA) program on SI that recently received DOL approval as apprenticeship program
- Developed the first Federally Approved Certified Nursing Assistant Program in New York State, 100% pass rate state exam
- Improved skills of new hires, improved organizational acclimation, reduce turnover and improve employee morale
- Home Health Aide field became a career ladder to CNA
- First round success, led to partner request for second and third cohort in Winter 2019, including building an LPN Apprentice career ladder
- 10 CNA Apprentices started as of January 2020 – Eger, Carmel, Clove Lakes
- SI PPS selected to advance to funding round for NYS Workforce Grants
The work has continued to mature based upon the needs of the workforce community, partner organizations and the healthcare market in general.
Graduate Rate for Community Health Workers
Graduate Rate for Certified Recovery Peer Advocates
Rate of scholarship recipients/interns who went from intern to employment with one of our local partners
Online Learning Modules
Staten Island PPS developed real time, online learning modules available for partner training and staff development needs.
Motivational Interviewing is a clinical approach that helps a person withdraw from a state of uncertainty and become motivated to make positive decisions.
This course is designed to help you understand procedures for preventing and dealing with potential infections. One in ten patients becomes infected while in hospital and about 3-5% of those infected die as a result. HALF of these infections can be avoided.
The Contact Tracing course is designed for partners to help with local contact tracing efforts.