Certified Home Health Aide Training
Please note: The form for submissions is closed. The first class has been finalized. Check back for future Home Health Aide opportunities.
Updated as of 11/1/2021
What is a Home Health Aide?
Home Health Aides may do the following:
- Assist clients in their daily personal tasks, such as bathing or dressing
- Perform housekeeping tasks, such as laundry, washing dishes, and vacuuming
- Help to organize a client’s schedule and plan appointments
- Arrange transportation to doctors’ offices or other outings
- Shop for groceries and prepare meals to meet a client’s dietary specifications
- Keep clients engaged in their social networks and communities
Home Health Aides are supervised by medical practitioners, usually nurses, and may work with therapists and other medical staff. These aides keep records on the client, such as services received, condition, and progress. They report changes in the client’s condition to a supervisor or case manager.
To be employed as a Home Health Aide in New York State you must complete a certified training program and then listed as a registered Home Health Aide in the state registry.
“Graduates will fill a gap in health care created by the COVID-19 pandemic, as many care givers stopped work for personal reasons or sought a new career when vaccines became a requirement in the field in New York City. Additionally, the program will create sorely-needed jobs on Staten Island.”
About the Home Health Aide Program
The training is fully paid for and there are no out-of-pocket costs to you. It is a full time, mostly virtual, 5-week program that begins in Fall 2021.
Students will be required to attend approximately 4 weeks (Monday through Thursday, 9:00am – 4:00pm) of education which will be provided via the virtual classroom and in-person skills lab. Details including the start date of the course will be shared during the interview process.
Applicants will be contacted by the course administrator (City Tech) to share a video describing the role of a Home Health Aide in more detail which will be followed by a virtual selection process. Please allow some time for you to be contacted for an interview.
The following will be required:
- Access to a computer, laptop or tablet
- Internet access
- Photo ID
- Social security card
- A drug screening
- Criminal history background check
- Complete medical clearance with COVID-19 vaccination
- COVID-19 rapid test done at clinical site
- Ability to complete physical tasks
- Ability to work in the United States
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Certified Home Health Aide! The form for submission is now closed. Check back for future Home Health Aide opportunities.