Social Determinants of Health & Health Equity
Proud Provider Pledge
Staten Island PPS’s Proud Provider Pledge is part of the initiative to address the inequities within LGBTQIA+ affirming care. Healthcare professionals who sign this pledge are committed to developing practices that ensure equitable and proper care for all patients, regardless of biological sex, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation.
The pledge consists of these 8 components:
- Post clear signage in the office/agency/department to indicate an inclusive and safe space for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Provide appropriate, open-ended space on intake forms for patients to identify their chosen name, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Ensure that staff is trained on working with and affirming the LGBTQIA+ community, with a specific focus on transgender/gender expansive (TGE) individuals who are at the highest risk for patient discrimination.
- Conduct regular behavioral health screenings and link high risk patients to LGBTQIA+ affirming care when available.
- Provide patients access to LGBTQIA+ affirming resources within the community as well as brochures and/or website links.
- Work to ensure a seamless transition between pediatric care and adult care or family medicine for LGBTQIA+ patients.
- Provide educational materials or links for patients to learn about PrEP and PEP.
- Create space and/or clear signage indicating restrooms, facilities, etc. are gender neutral/inclusive.